Saturday, October 25, 2008

a tricky balance....


it's been tricky finding that balance......as the boys start gaining more independence, I find myself following their lead and looking forward to a bit of it myself. As I continue to explore this new medium with sewing, ideas are starting to flow and thus a strong desire to find that time to explore those ideas is getting stronger. Throughout the day I find moments yearning to just sit down and create, but understand that for now that good undisturbed time has to wait until the wee ones have gone to bed. (and with that comes a couple cups of coffee to make sure my body can make it past 9pm) After what seemed like several years of artist's block (initiated by pregnancy # 1), I feel like I am finally returning to the artist I was back then. I may not have the full days of creating with a cranked up stereo, but what I do have is the knowledge that I haven't lost the creative bug. As saddened as I am sometimes to see how quickly the boys are growing up, I know that I have something to look forward to that will inevitably help with those long days when both boys are in school....for now I just have to drink those cups of coffee and relish in the fact that ideas are starting to fill up that sketchbook!!

6 comments:

Janice said...

My balance seems to be dealing with the housework....seems never-ending!It takes away too much of my creative energy!

Anonymous said...

...some days I just can't wait to get my boys in bed & then feel all guilty & mean for wanting them out of the way! But find myself going stir crazy if I don't allow myself the creative release I need!

Now I try to do crafty things with them to kind of please us both, but it's by not the answer.

sammi said...

oh, I know the feeling...you are not alone. There are those days when I wake up in the morning full of ideas and just wish I had the ability to sip some morning coffee and play around with the ideas all day......it's funny, I will yearn for that time to myself, and if my husband gives me a few hours on the weekend to focus on creating, I find myself sitting there missing the kids and wanting to be with them!

tangled sky studio said...

isn't it funny that when you actually plan "creative" time just how unproductive you can be? i try to make little notes or sketches and prep things so that when a small window of time presents itself i can work. my husband often takes the kids to do something really fun to give me time on the weekends too and i do sometimes feel like i'm missing out but that's when i crank up the tunes and get to work...then when we are back together for dinner or game night i can feel more at ease having accomplished something tangible. it is a truly tricky balance but in the end we all manage it.
beth

Leililaloo said...

Reading all of these comments i feel some relief. We all have to struggle to get some of that creative time. I have a little 2 year old, a baby in my belly and a part time job. I sometimes feel really closed up in myself, because of all the daily things that need to be done, and the pulling energie of wanting to create on the orher side. I tell my self it will be like this for a few years, i imagine it getting better when children start going school(i hope). But feel sad (already) at the same time, because it means by then so much time has passed us by.

sammi said...

thanks so much for all your comments....leililoo, I share your feelings exactly. It really helped having my mum as an artist, as she gave me some good realistic expectations. (such as knowing that art will come back once both kids are in school) the boys are 3 and 5 now, and I feel like I am just entering that next stage where independent play is allowing me more pockets of time. (albeit just a few minutes here and there...but it is happening!) hang in there, and just know that it will come back...and yes, time does fly when you look back at it all
beth...o.k., how do you get so much work done? what is your secret?