Tuesday, September 9, 2008

why i'm proud....


As the fall approaches and the bowls of warm custard start making their appearance, I find myself getting even more excited for what experiences can be had with the arrival of cooler weather. I don't know if it's a vast approching birthday or not, but I have been reflecting this past couple of weeks on my approach to motherhood with the boys...I have been feeling lately that the focus has become more on what frustates me during the day (the usual frustrations that comes with two young boys...) and less on the aspects that make staying home with the boys a great decision. I want to look at this upcoming new year with a sense of pride of what my husband and I have accomplished thus far, and what wonderful things are bound to happen as the family grows older. I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and list the things I am/have become proud of:

1. I am proud that my boys have the ability to sit down and create a whole imaginative world with the simplest of materials...

2. I am proud that we only watch t.v. one night a week designated as "movie night", complete with popcorn and "movie tickets" to watch the show. (this can make some days quite long when the boys are having one of those days!)

3. I am proud that my little one is finally out of his night-time pull-ups and thus allowing the house to be rid of any evidence of diapers...

4. I am proud that my boys are completely confident to be either scary dinousaurs hunting through the woods, or princesses going on garage sale hunts (yes, even I was taken aback at how much they enjoyed the latter)

5. I am proud that they have developed a sense of compassion, and are deeply affected when something isn't going right

the list can go on and as I write, more things start popping into my head...I don't know where this sudden need to become reflective has come from. The fall tends to do this to me, as the time rocking in front of the fire presents a wonderful opportunity to just stare and think. I am looking forward to an amazing season of school projects, apple picking, cookie baking, leaf jumping, and all the other good things associated with this season. It's my favourite time of the year......

2 comments:

artslice said...

As a complete stranger (& mama), I'm proud of your boys just reading all those accomplishments! I especially admire you for only having tv/movie night once a week... maybe I should try to work up to that myself. I, too am a huge fan of autumn and all the promise a fresh start brings during this time of year. Lovely post!

tangled sky studio said...

A-U-T-U-M-N....yay autumn!
Your post today was great ...parenting is always a work in progress... my all time favorite book on parenting is "mitten strings for god...reflections for mothers in a hurry" (it is not about god or religion). it is a collection of essays by katrina kenison on her family life. It is inspiring and reflective and proved to be an invaluable tool and comfort on all subjects. if you haven't read this you really must check it out it's a perfect read for the season of reflection.